Guidelines for Yoga Class
|1. Yoga is practiced in bare feet. Please remove your shoes before entering the yoga
practice room. Please turn off cell phones and pagers.
2. Wear modest clothes that allow you to move and breathe freely. No baggy clothing, instructor needs to see alignment. No heavy jewelry. NO PERFUME OR COLOGNE.
3. Yoga is to be practiced on an empty stomach, allow 1-2 hours after a light meal,
4. Avoid using any scents when coming to class, respect those who are allergic and sensitive to perfume.
5. Please tell the instructor prior to class if you are feeling unwell, on your period, or
6. You may take more than one class per week, pick days and times that allow you to
7. Yoga can and should be practiced at home. It is ideal to repeat the asanas (postures)
Guidelines for Home Practice
|1. To receive optimum benefits from yoga be consistent in your practice. Discipline
yourself to practice at the same time whether it is once a day or once a week.
2. Some people enjoy a 20-30 minute practice once a week, others enjoy a longer
3. Consult your instructor about modifications for menstration, high blood pressure, & specific health concerns and injuries.
4. Be systematic in practice, begin with the simpler postures and progress to the more complex as your strength, flexibility and understanding of the postures develop.
5. Yoga can be practiced anytime of day, practice with an empty stomach, bladder and bowels.
6. Breathe through your nose as you practice. Keep your mouth closed and eyes open.
7. To avoid injury do not force your body into any pose, beyond its capacity.
8. It is best to attend a yoga class on a regular basis to get individual corrections from a teacher, and to gain a deeper understanding of the postures.
|Books to Assist in Your Practice & Study of Yoga
Recommended Reading List for Iyengar Yoga Students
Light on Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar (Schocken Books, NY)
Light on Pranayama by B.K.S. Iyengar (Crossroad, NY)
Yoga A Gem For Women by Geeta S. Iyengar (Timeless Books)
Yoga Vrksa The Tree of Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar (Fineline Books)
Iyengar His Life and Work (Timeless Books)
The Art of Yoga by B.K.S. Iyengar (Unwin Paperback Original)
Light on the Yoga Sutras by B.K.S. Iyengar (Aquarian Press, Harper Collins)
Especially for beginners:
Yoga the Iyengar Way by Silva, Mira, Shyam Mehta (Knopf, NY)
How to Use Yoga by Mira Mehta (Knopf, NY)